The Story

Watch me cook my way through my nanna's legacy to us....her many, many recipes found in a massive pile of very old books and collected pages from her life! These recipes are like an archive from the pre 1940s to the 1980s. My aim is to cook one recipe a week from these. Wish me luck!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Chocolate Simple Cake

I had to make a birthday cake for my friend, so I decided to use one of nanna's recipes. Chocolate cake always goes down a treat, so that is what I decided to make. Doesn't the final product look impressive??
The Recipe

Click on the link above to view the full recipe. It's a simple chcolate cake originally from the Bourneville Cocoa Company, by the looks.

It makes a great looking batter:

I actually made two double batches because I was feeding a big crowd. I cooked each double batch in a lamington tray, then once they were cooled, I placed one on top of the other and put fresh cream between the two layers.

The icing was the fun part!
The Hints

I iced the cake with a chocolate ganache. Yum! Then I made chocolate curls and added fresh, cut strawberries. For instructions on how to do these, google! That's what I did and it turned out ok. I also bought gingham ribbon and tied bows to toothpicks to get the bow feature.
The Positives

This cake was delicious. Even multiplying the recipe still made a tasty treat.

The Issues

I can't recall any. Once again, you have to convert to metric, but I've resigned myself to having to do this throughout this blog! It's not a mud cake though so be prepared that it is much lighter and less denser under all of that chocolate ganache!

The Rating


9/10
As you can see, it got eaten!

No comments:

Post a Comment